Sunday, October 5, 2008

Great Weekend

This has been a brilliant weekend. The movie on Friday night, the 52-17 (should've been 52-10 except for garbage time TD by Nubs) demolishing of Nebraska at their own stadium, then a visit from my sister and her fiance and my nephew today. We went to Harpo's, which had good food and was nice to just sit there and talk for a while with them. It was really good to see the little man there. He is getting so big! Everytime I see him he is bigger and you can just see him starting to figure out the world. He is definitely a special little guy. It's going to be a lot of fun to be part of his life and help him grow into a good person. I'm looking forward to teaching him all the stuff the weird, funny uncle teaches kids. Along these same lines, my other sister is due to have her baby boy at the end of this month. The holidays are going to be a lot of fun this year. I'm soo excited!!

It was good Harpo's was sorta empty today, I can see it being a great place to go and watch a Tigers game but if it woulda been crowded today the visit would have been a lot less enjoyable.

Thank goodness that last week is over. It was for sure a stressful one. It's been nice to able to really relax and enjoy this weekend as much as possible. I still have a few little homework things to do, but such is life. You are never truly finished with everything you have to do.

In one of my classes, we are reading "The Happiness Hypothesis," and I came across an interesting quote while reading it:
"What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: our life is the creation of our mind." --Buddha
This really struck me as a huge revelation. So much of our life is formed by our perception of events that happened. We all know people who think that everybody is giving them "the look." They live continually angry and stressful lives because they think that every person is out to get them. Or when people take no responsibility for their actions. Every failure in their life is because of somebody else's actions. Not even that, but just the simplest everyday encounters when we have conversations with people. If they are in a good mood, we assume that the conversation was good. If they are a little ticked off, for whatever reason, we attribute their mood to something that WE did or said. People always want to think they are so much more important than they really are. Our actions are, in the grand scheme of things, insignificant. We are ONE person, on a planet of BILLIONS of people, on ONE planet, in ONE solar system, in a vast universe of BILLIONS of solar systems.

Don't get me wrong, I know the impression I just gave off with that is one of extreme pessimism. But it's not. I am simply saying a SINGLE human life is ultimately insignificant. The human race, as a whole, is extremely important. Life will go one without a single person among us. Even if the person is very influential in whatever field you like to think of. Inevitably, their work will be carried on by another person. I guess what I'm getting at is this: A human life is but a single molecule in the Arch, or Eiffel Tower, or whatever tall building you chose. The lives we live today lay the foundations for lives to be lived in the future. Think about it, this makes sense, I promise. How many of our modern inventions are based on simpler mechanisms invented 2,000 years ago? Shit, for that matter, look at how much difference the wheel has made in today's society. And that was invented as far back as 3500 BC. It really is true that most parents' dreams and life's work is just to make sure their children live a better life than they do.

Anyway, I just thought that quote was pretty inspiring. To me, at least. I guess most people would say the whole insignificance of life thing is pretty dire, but it gave me a whole lot of motivation and perspective on life. Make of it what you will.

Welllll, I fear my time has come to get my act together and get some stuff done.

Buenos Nachos!

---The Comeback Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's the happy haps?